Alvah Philbrook, Captain, Co. D, 24th Wisconsin Infantry
- April 21: Alvah Philbrook is born in Ossipee, New Hampshire to parents John and Ann Philbrook.
- March: Alvah Philbrook graduates from the Thornton Academy in Saco, Maine.
- September 11: The United States Federal Census shows 19 year old Alvah, a machinist, living with his parents and siblings in Biddeford, Maine.
- January 5: Alvah Philbrook married Caroline Manning in Boston, Massachusetts. Caroline was the daughter of Cephas Manning, an inventor and master railway mechanic.
- May 18: Daughter Caroline Alice Philbrook is born.
- The Philbrook family relocates to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- June 21: The United States Federal Census taken Milwaukee, Wisconsin shows Alvah, machinist on railroad, and Caroline living with their daughter, Caroline, age 6. Also living with the family is an 18 year old domestic servant named Anna Staggemann.
- August 9: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- August 14: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- August 21: Alvah enlists in the US Army.
- January 11: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- November 30: Captain Alvah Philbrook fights in the Battle of Franklin. He was killed in action.
- January 23: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee Wisconsin.