Philip Gossard, Private, Co A, 183rd Ohio Voluntary Infantry, US
- October 2: Philip Gossard is born in Fayette County to parents Jacob and Mary Gossard.
- January 1: Philip Gossard marries Elleanor “Ellen” Ross in Auglaize County, Ohio.
- July 25: The United States Federal Census taken in Wayne Township, Auglaize County, Ohio shows Philip, a farmer, living with his wife Elleanor.
- June 14: The United States Federal Census taken in Wayne Township, Auglaize County, Ohio shows Philip, a farmer, and Elleanor living with their 4 young children.
- September 17: Philip Gossard enlists in the US Army. ***Brother James enlisted 2 days later on September 19.***
- November 30: Philip Gossard is severely wounded in the right leg at the Battle of Franklin. He was removed the battlefield and died at a nearby home soon after. He is buried at the Stones River National Cemetery in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.