Policies and Guidelines for Visitors
By entering the properties at The Carter House and Carnton, you agree to abide by the following policies. These policies are in place to create a safe and enjoyable experience for all guests.
- No photography inside the historic houses and exhibits. Photography for your own personal use is permitted outside.
- Tripods, monopods, and selfie sticks are not permitted inside the historic houses.
- Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (drones), or any similar remote-controlled vehicles/flying devices, is not permitted on the property without prior approval from The Battle of Franklin Trust.
- Photography sessions including, but not limited to, engagement, graduation, prom, or family portraits must be scheduled in advance. Photoshoots are scheduled in 2 hour slots. There is a fee of $75 if the photography shoot takes place during business hours, or $175 if the shoot takes place after business hours. Please contact Meagan Wuest at (615) 794-0903 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a session.
- Commercial photography is prohibited without express written consent. Requests for commercial photography should be forwarded to Meagan Wuest at (615) 794-0903 or email@example.com.
- Smoking is permitted in designated areas only, situated outside of the Visitor Centers at each site. Please dispose of cigarette butts in the provided receptacles. Electronic smoking devices may not be used in the Visitor Centers or historic houses.
- Dogs are permitted on the grounds, but not inside the buildings. Dogs must be on leashes, and owners must pick up after their dogs. Certified service animals are permitted inside the buildings.
- Damaging plants or flowers or picking from the gardens and landscape is not permitted.
- Visitors are not allowed to carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed on the premises. The prohibition on firearms applies to all visitors, including those with firearm permits, but not to active law enforcement personnel authorized to carry firearms.
- Children must remain with parents, teachers or chaperones at all times, including trips to the bathroom. Families with active or restless children may be asked to take turns when touring the house. This is a courtesy to other visitors and a safety matter.
- Guests may not, in any form, interpret or perform for other guests outside of their party or group.
- Guests may not act, or appear to act, as a representative of The Battle of Franklin Trust.
- The grounds at each site close at 5 pm and remain closed until 9 am the next morning (11 am on Sundays). Visitors may not enter the grounds after or before operating hours, with the exception of after-hours events.
House and Museum Policies
- Food, drink, and chewing gum are strictly prohibited in the historic houses.
- Cell phones must be on silent or vibrate while inside the historic houses. Guests must leave the guided tour if they are to take a phone call.
- Visitors must remain with their guide during the guided tour.