Corporal Albert Jefferis, Co. C, 57th IN Infantry, USA
- January 20: Albert C. Jefferis was born to William and Esther Starbuck Jefferis.
- June 27: Albert’s mother Esther died.
- July 16: The U.S. Federal Census taken in Franklin Township, Wayne County, IN showed 14-year-old Albert living with his father William and stepmother and younger siblings. His father William was a farmer.
- November 30: Albert enlisted in the U.S. Army in Richmond, IN.
- August 13: Albert’s father William Jefferis enlisted in the U.S. Cavalry in Richmond, IN. He mustered into Co. B, 5th IN Cavalry.
- August 1: Albert was promoted to Corporal.
- November 30: Albert was killed in action in the Battle of Franklin.
Biographical sketch in The History of Wayne County, Indiana: Together with Sketches of Its V.2
“William C. Jefferis was reared on the farm and educated in the subscription schools. He was married April 20, 1843, to Esther Starbuck, a native of Wayne County, and a daughter of William Starbuck, one of the first settlers of the county. Mrs. Jefferis died in June, 1847, leaving two children—Martha E., and Albert, who enlisted in the late war, and after serving over three years was killed at the battle of Franklin, Tenn., in November 1864."