Captain Alvah Philbrook, Co. D, 24th Wisconsin Infantry, USA
- April 21: Alvah Philbrook was born in Ossipee, New Hampshire to parents John and Ann Philbrook.
- March: Alvah Philbrook graduated from the Thornton Academy in Saco, ME.
- September 11: The U.S. Federal Census showed 19-year-old Alvah, a machinist, living with his parents and siblings in Biddeford, Maine.
- January 5: Alvah Philbrook married Caroline Manning in Boston, Massachusetts. Caroline was the daughter of Cephas Manning, an inventor and master railway mechanic.
- May 18: Daughter Caroline Alice Philbrook was born.
- The Philbrook family relocated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
June 21: The U.S.Federal C ensus enumerated Milwaukee, WI showed Alvah, machinist on railroad, and Caroline living with their daughter, Caroline, age 6. Also living with the family was an 18-year-old domestic servant named Anna Staggemann.
- August 9: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- August 14: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- August 21: Alvah enlists in the U.S. Army.
- January 11: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- November 30: Captain Alvah Philbrook fought in the Battle of Franklin. He was killed in action.
- January 23: Milwaukee Sentinel, Milwaukee Wisconsin.