Visit the McLemore House
Harvey McLemore, a former slave and successful farmer, built the oldest remaining African American owned home in Franklin, Tennessee.
The African American Heritage Society and The Battle of Franklin Trust are offering tours of the McLemore House on Saturdays.
McLemore House is closed for the winter season.
Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children (kids 5 and under are free). Guided tours typically last between 30 and 40 minutes.
Address & Phone
446 Eleventh Avenue, Franklin, TN 37064
(615) 786-1864 or (615) 305-0904
Harvey McLemore was a former slave owned by Confederate officer W. S. McLemore, who was later a lawyer and judge in Williamson County. In 1880, Harvey McLemore bought a piece of property from his former owner in a neighborhood called "Hard Bargain." Harvey’s house still stands at 446 11th Avenue North and was occupied by his descendants for 117 years before it was acquired by the African American Heritage Society and the Heritage Society of Franklin and Williamson County in 1997. It is the oldest remaining African American owned home in Franklin.
The Board of Directors of the African American Heritage Society partnered with the Center for Historic Preservation at Middle Tennessee State University to produce a special exhibit at the historic house: “Building a Future-The Journey from Slavery to Freedom.” The panels in this thoughtfully presented display discuss the history of the McLemore family and their home, but also the challenges faced by newly freed men and women in Tennessee in the 1870s and 1880s. Also on display in the McLemore House, are important artifacts from members of the African American community in Williamson County which includes a Tuskegee Airman’s uniform. Three members of the famed WWII unit were from Williamson County and their images can be seen as part of the tour.
Tours for groups of 10 or more can be scheduled on demand, even in the winter season, based on staff availability. Please contact Meagan Roberts for more information or to schedule a tour - firstname.lastname@example.org or (615) 905-0693.
From Carter House: Turn left out of the Carter House parking lot onto West Fowlkes St. Turn left at the first stop sign onto Natchez St. Take an almost immediate right onto 11th Ave. Turn right onto West Main St. Take an almost immediate left back onto 11th Ave. McLemore House will be on your right. Parking is available on the street.
From Carnton: Continue on Eastern Flank Cir. to exit Eastern Flank Battlefield Park. Turn left onto Lewisburg Ave. at the first stop sign. Continue on Lewisburg Ave. for approximately 1.2 miles. Turn left onto TN-96 W. Turn right onto 11th Ave. McLemore House will be on your right. Parking is available on the street.