Private Philip Gossard, Co. A, 183rd Ohio Voluntary Infantry, USA
- October 2: Philip Gossard was born in Fayette County, OH to parents Jacob and Mary Gossard.
- January 1: Philip Gossard married Elleanor “Ellen” Ross in Auglaize County, OH.
- July 25: The U.S. Federal Census enumerated in Wayne Township, Auglaize County, OH showed Philip, a farmer, living with his wife Elleanor.
- June 14: The U.S. Federal Census enumerated in Wayne Township, Auglaize County, OH showed Philip, a farmer, and Elleanor living with their 4 young children.
- September 17: Philip Gossard enlists in the US Army. ***Brother James enlisted 2 days later on September 19.***
- November 30: Philip Gossard was severely wounded in the right leg at the Battle of Franklin. He was removed the battlefield and died at a nearby home soon after. He is buried at the Stones River National Cemetery in Murfreesboro, TN.