Private William A. Couch, Co. D, 8th East Tennessee Infantry, USA
- William Couch was born in Greene County, TN to Parents John and Margaret Couch.
- November 27: The U.S. Federal Census enumerated in Greene County, TN showed 5-year-old William living with his parents, John and Margaret Couch, and siblings. His father was a farmer.
- June 14: The U.S. Federal Census enumerated in Hawkins County, TN showed 15-year-old William living with his parents, John and “Peggy” Couch, and siblings. His father was a farmer.
- May 15: Company Muster-in Roll/Camp Dick Robinson, Kentucky. Age 18. Remarks “Enlisted as Pvt Elected Corporal May 14, 63”
- ***Captain of Co. D 8th TN Infantry is Alfred Couch, William’s uncle.***
- May to August: Company Muster Roll. Present.
- September & October: Company Muster Roll. Absent. Remarks “Absent without leave since Sept. 25, 63” ***William is now noted as a Private, not a Corporal.***
- ***William’s father John died sometime late 63 early 64, so it is entirely possible this “absent without leave” was because his father died and he went home.”
- November & December: Company Muster Roll. Present.
- January to October: Company Muster Rolls. Present.
- November 30: William fought at the Battle of Franklin.
- January & February: Company Muster Roll. Present.
- March & April: Company Muster Roll. Absent. Remarks “detached driving wagon at Wilmington, N.C.”
- June 30: Company Muster-Out Roll.
- April 27: William A. Couch dies. He was only 22 years old.