William A. McCoy, Private, Co. A, 175th Ohio Infantry
- March 23: William Allen McCoy is born to parents Isaac and Comfort McCoy in Highland County, Ohio.
- August 4: William McCoy and Margaret Montgomery are married in Highland County, Ohio.
- July 23: The United States Federal Census taken in Franklin Township, Adams County, Ohio show William, a farmer, living with his new wife Margaret.
- June: William A. McCoy registers for the draft.
- August 23: William enlisted in the US army with friend Jacob Wisecup.
- September 10: Mustered into the 175th Ohio.
- November 30: Fought in the Battle of Franklin. He was killed in action. He is buried at Stones River National Cemetery in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- ***William’s youngest daughter Rachel McCoy was born 4 months to the day after her father died. William’s friend Jacob Wisecup married Margaret McCoy and took care of her and the McCoy children.***