About The Battle of Franklin Trust
The mission of The Battle of Franklin Trust is to preserve, understand, and interpret the story of a people forever impacted by the American Civil War.
The Battle of Franklin Trust is a 501(c)(3) organization. We manage two historic sites in Franklin, Tennessee, that witnessed the 1864 Battle of Franklin: The Carter House and Carnton Plantation.
The Carter House
The Carter House, built in 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter, witnessed one of the bloodiest battles during the Civil War on November 30, 1864. The modest brick home was commandeered to be used as the Federal command post while the Carter family, and one other family, sought refuge in the basement during the fighting which erupted on their property. This Registered Historic Landmark has been open to the public since 1953 and serves as a memorial to the Battle of Franklin and the Carter family.
Carnton was built in 1826 by former Nashville mayor Randal McGavock. His son, John, inherited the house in 1843. The McGavock family was also directly impacted by the Battle of Franklin and found their home used as a field hospital for wounded Confederate soldiers. Carnton became the largest such hospital in the area following the battle. After the war John and his wife, Carrie, set aside nearly two acres of their own property so that the remains of Southern dead who died as a result of the Battle of Franklin might be properly buried. The house has been open to the public since the late 1970s and allows visitors to better understand the humanity which often appears in the midst of war.