Volunteer with The Battle of Franklin Trust
There are a number of opportunities throughout the year to volunteer with The Battle of Franklin Trust.
Please use the form at the bottom of this page to sign up or express interest in volunteering.
Sunset Concert Series - Sundays, June 24 & July 29
Help is needed in the following areas:
- Parking attendants (2-4) Directing cars to the correct parking areas at the historic property to maximize available space
- Concert Greeters/Ushers (2-4) Helping direct guests to the ticket desk and concert entrances
- Will Call Attendants (2-4) Checking in those concert goers that pre-purchased tickets
- Clean-up (2-4) While concert goers know they should take their trash with them, to make sure Carnton is ready for guests Monday morning, we walk the property immediately at the end of the concert to pick up anything that happen to be left behind.
Complimentary tickets to the concert will be given to each volunteer. Volunteer positions fill up fast. Get on the list now.
Blue & Gray Days - Thursday to Saturday, November 8-10
Sign up to help with Blue & Gray Days by feeding the re-enactors and living historians or help greet school groups and guests when they arrive on property. Whether you provide a main dish or side, show off your favorite recipes! Not a chef or a baker? We need a few greeters to help direct guests as they arrive on property at both Carter House and Carnton!
Suggested food items are: chili, lasagna, spaghetti, macaroni & cheese, etc. Food for both sites needed each day, feeding 13 to 28 people.
Each volunteer will receive free admission to Blue & Gray Days for two people.
Battle of Franklin 5K & Kids' Fun Run - Saturday, November TBD
Help is needed in the following areas:
- 5K Registration/Sign-in tent - set up, sign in pre-paid participants and register day-of participants, break down
- Kids' Fun Run Registration/Sign-in tent - set up, sign in pre-paid participants and register day-of participants, break down
- Drink/Treats tent - set up, replenish, break down
- Cheerleaders & Sign-holders - cheer on the runners & walkers
- Finish Line - help direct runners/walkers at end of race
- Water Station Setup - setup and breakdown water station on the 5K route
Illumination - Friday, November 30, 2018
On November 30th each year we recognize the anniversary of the Battle of Franklin with luminaries. Volunteers are needed in the fall prior to the event to help test lights and also the day of to set up the luminaries and take them down. We will make sure we have refreshments to keep you fed and hydrated during your shift on the day of Illumination.
Tea light testing - join us a Carnton, or if you have a group of people, we can bring them to you. Up to two months before November 30th we will be testing 10,000 lights to make sure they are ready to shine bright for Illumination.
Set up - 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm Place luminaries (wooden block for weight and battery-powered tea light) in bags and place on designated areas
Break down - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Pick up bags, separate wooden blocks and tea lights
Park Day 2019 - April
Looking for an opportunity to get involved doing hands-on preservation work? Park Day is an annual, nationwide event sponsored by the Civil War Trust to promote hands-on preservation to maintain America’s battlefields and historic sites. This event takes place in April - exact date will be announced at a later time.
Office Administrative Assistance – an opportunity every quarter
Each quarter we need administrative assistance to help prepare our various communication pieces for mailing. Folding and stuffing can be very therapeutic. Laurie McPeak is the project manager and looks forward to meeting you.
Summer Camp Internships
Carter House and Carnton Summer Camp internships last a week and half in June and July. Each camp has 3 days of planning (flexible according to your schedule) and 3 days of camp. You will gain hands-on experience planning programs and running the camp. If you are interested in education and history this is the internship for you. Please contact Sarah Falck at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
Under the direction of the BOFT Event Planner/Coordinator, the intern will observe and assist with various projects assigned by the Special Events department. For more details, please contact Jayde Smith at email@example.com or (615) 794-0903.
- Maintain and manage event the day of
- Assist with in-house events and wedding the day of, as needed
- Assisting in communications around event management including timelines, calendars, reports, diagrams
- Assisting with onsite event management and set up
The Battle of Franklin Trust staff member in charge of the opportunity or opportunities you indicate below will be in contact to confirm details and make assignments.